Thursday, April 16, 2009

Inner beauty and strength

A friend send me the link to this video of Susan Boyle, Britain's 2009 You've Got Talent Singer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z0h1NNk1Ik. She is an example of how outside appearance doesn't say anything about what is on the inside. Although initially viewed as being incapable of singing due simply because she is not outwardly beautiful by many people's standards, it is clear she not only did she captivate Simon and the other judges, but stunned the audience members who were so disgusted by her outward appearance in the first place. Our society places too much emphasis on looks when considering ability, potential, intelligence, and work ethic.

Living in a world where I am surrounded by chronically ill and disabled people, and being one myself, I personally understand the perceptions that come with not appearing as one should, according to society, in order to be successful. At times, because of my size, limitations, and physical weaknesses, I am looked upon as incapable of being able to accomplish very much or make much of an impact so not much is entrusted to me without my own personal pursuit of something. This is true of my friends and colleagues who have health issues, many much more outwardly blatant than mine. But if you truly look beyond outward appearance, you often find more someone more beautiful than anyone you have ever seen before. Those who face certain limitations and obstacles in life are often the one's who have the most to contribute and are the most beautiful. Some of the greatest success stories come from those who have been socially outcast or looked upon as being weaker than others and incapable of contributing much, if anything, to the world.

Today I was at the grocery store and ran into a guy working there who completely made my day more than anyone else there. He's clearly somewhat mentally challenged, but he was so happy to do what he was doing and so proud of his work. Even though his only job is to collect the baskets from the carts outside and bring them in, he boldly stated to me as I was walking out the door "look at these baskets, don't they look so much better!" after having spent a good deal of time straightening them out and making sure there were none out of place. As we walked out of the store, my Jeep alarm, which is finicky, started to sound from a distance as another car drove by. He laughed, shook his head, and said "it's still going off. Annoying sound!" When I informed him that it was mine making all that noise, he laughed again and said "it's an annoying noise, isn't it?"

He then ran off to grab another cluster of baskets to take into the store. I imagine that no "able-bodied" person according to our society's standards would do half as good of a job or be nearly as proud of the finished product as he was and be so happy just to have the opportunity to be there doing it! In many instances, he has probably been blown off by others as not having the ability to help based on his outward appearance, but I know if I had requested his help in getting my groceries into the Jeep he would have happily taken me up on it and done better than anyone else who has ever done it. He has probably been seen in the past as being unable to contribute much to the world because of his limitations, yet he certainly made a big impact on my day! If not just the inspiration that came from the pride he took in his work which some would see as insufficient or unimportant, his whole attitude and friendliness was captivating.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Girl! It's been a while since I came by your blog... I love this post! Good Stuff! See ya Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carissa, I've been following you for a long time but I don't think I've commented before now. I just wanted to let you know how much I loved this post and could relate to a lot of what you wrote. As a life long wheelchair user I too have experiences the perception of being incapable and unable. You sum it up well.

    ReplyDelete