Monday, November 28, 2011

The common bond that can't be broken

I have had gastroparesis for 17 years and chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction for 10 years. One thing that 11 years of working with DTP patients has taught me is that when it comes to these challenges, nothing else matters that can drive a wedge between us. We may disagree politically, socially, and religiously. We have completely different lifestyles, morals, values, priorities, and backgrounds. We are all races, colors, ages, nationalities, and sizes. We couldn't be more diverse. However, it doesn't matter in the least. We are always there for each other because we need that.

We are all connected by one thing...very serious and debilitating health conditions that need a cure. We are so different, yet so much the same! We are connected in unique ways that no one outside of our shoes can possibly get. It's special. It's hard. We cry for those we have never met in person when they hurt. We laugh at and with each other. We know each other and each others families and learn personalities very well. We send each other cards during holidays, hospitalizations, and just random "thinking of you" days. We are close friends, even though most of us have never even met in person! When we get together there are no awkward moments! We already know each other and feel close! There are instant bonds. We are not strangers. We are family.

Thank you for being there for me through the good AND the bad. Thank you for not thinking less of me when I feel like giving up myself. Thank you for coming to rescue me when I am in need of support. Thank you, most of all, for allowing me to be part of your life and giving back to you too. Thank you for trusting me. Thank you for making me feel like my life does matter too. As long as we are alive, our mission is not done. Your life matters. Don't ever forget that! You can make a difference in the life of someone every single day. You have made a difference in my life today simply by sticking with me through this day of challenges and feelings of loss on many fronts. I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment