Saturday, October 2, 2010

Decision made, process started...

The decision has been made. I will be going into a skilled nursing facility sometime in the next few days. As opposed to a rehab hospital, in which the therapy is really intense, they feel I will do best in a nursing facility for starters, especially so they can then deal more with the medical/nutritional issues at the same time. The rehab will be easier on me until I get stronger. I'm scared. I've heard some horror stories about SNF, but am trying to ease those fears through a variety of ways, one being that I am detailing all my care on paper for them so they know exactly how I do things at home. Small bowel transplant patients are complicated and it's vital that they stay on top of that part too. Fortunately, I am smart and able to advocate for myself when needed. I will ask to be transferred if I end up in a bad location that won't cooperate with my needs.

My parents left town today. I will be as careful as I can be until I am able to get into a safer environment with some assistance. I do have friends and family who can help if I get in a real bind.

I'm praying that my fears will be eased...this is kind of a scary thing for me to go to a skilled nursing facility. I have heard some horror stories. I hope I will be able to make some friends my age there to help me get through it. My friends in Pitt really help me cope when I am there.

Also, praying for safety with the medical side of my care...that they will pay attention to my needs and listen to what I tell them when it comes to my care. My goal is to get physically stronger in hopes that I will also get nutritionally more stable and be able to eat better. People know it's the right thing for me to do and are happy my docs are pursuing it...but it's a new phase for me and I'm just not sure what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment