Saturday, October 2, 2010

Inpatient Rehab thoughts

This is the latest-

I fell yesterday in my apartment and, fortunately, once again I didn’t break anything but am sore all over. I have near falls multiple times a day and I am struggling with weakness so much it’s hard for me to shower and even get dressed w/o falling. I am really starting to scare myself. It’s only a matter of time before I fall and do some serious damage. I had thought a week out I’d see improvement, and I know I’ve been through a lot, but I was already asking my dad to pull out my Blue Lightning jr. walker b4 the surgery and don’t see how if I was that weak before, how I can pull myself out of it now without assistance. Twenty days in the hospital takes a lot of out of you! I am still driving obviously, but that doesn’t require as much leg/body strength or balance, etc so driving doesn’t seem to be much of a problem. I take it slowly more because of being on some dopey meds still and my reaction rate is slower, but I have backed off on meds so my head is a bit clearer. I get scooter buggies when I have to shop (as I did pre and post tx) and just stay off my feet as much as I can doing other things and carry as little as possible around, but then that requires a lot of trips around the house and that’s hard to do as well. But, I can hardly get up and down stairs and once I am down on the floor, getting back up is a nightmare. Thankfully, I already had a hospital bed so at least I have assistance in that.

So, we are now considering the possibility of inpatient rehab since I am struggling to do the most basic things and my safety at home alone is questionable. I’m not going to UPMC for it. The only advantage there is they know how to deal more with the small bowel transplant patients where Hershey doesn’t, but they don’t have an exceptional rehab program and have even dropped some of my friends. Yes. Dropped them. The medical side of it is bad too…they don’t do well taking care of tx patients with meds and other issues that come up, so there’s really no advantage to going to Hershey or UPMC. Either way, I have to teach them.

This is up in the air right now still, but I would appreciate prayers as I talk to my docs about it and we make decisions…outpatient rehab is an option, but when you are to the level where I am and can hardly dress or shower myself, simple tasks in my apartment are challenging, and safety is in question even, inpatient may be best for starters. The problem is, rehab isn’t going to be very successful until my nutrition status improves too, but by doing inpatient we can work on both at the same time while I stay safer and have help I need because it’s going to take a while to get my nutrition on track. Still a bit wacky from obstruction.

Thanks for continuing to pray for me as I work through all this and try to figure out the best way to get back to my baseline at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment