Saturday, October 2, 2010

Following Christ- my story of "knowing" but not really "knowing"

For those of you who have known me for life, this will be surprising. I'm not sure what happened in my life. I grew up believing in God and never doubted His existence, but I don't feel like I ever made the fully informed decision to follow Christ. I walked the walk and knew the talk. I was well behaved, but my heart was never in my faith and I never had the passion or love for God or others that I should have had. I had some traumatic experiences post-transplant, as mentioned in my story below, that brought me flat on my face. I had been struggling and came to the realization that I truly had never placed my life fully in His hands.

I don't know if I became a Christian at the age of four and just never developed a relationship with Jesus or if it was not until after my transplant after my traumatic summer. All I know is something happened to me in August 2006 that totally turned my life around and I haven't been the same since. I had times growing up where I felt like God was guiding me and in my life, but overall I kind of shut Him out and relied on myself. This has been a hard thing for me to share and be open about because it has been assumed my whole life that I was a Christian, even by myself. I didn't come to the realization that I might not be until I couldn't feel him with me during my time of greatest need. I wasn't able to connect with Him until I asked Him to come rescue me and forgive me for everything and committed everything to Him. Even though difficult to admit I may not have become a Christian until the age of 28 when always assumed otherwise, this has been an important step to me in sharing my story is so important to reach out to others. It was not a decision I made lightly on a whim. I had been thinking about it for years. I wanted to make sure that the decision to get baptized was mine, I understood the stand I was taking this time, and that no one had an influence on the decision- I needed to make it alone to know that I was following God's command to be baptized in obedience to Him. I am not ashamed of the gospel!

The fact is, it doesn't matter WHEN I became a follower of Christ. The important thing is I know NOW for certain and have no doubts. I've been confused about this for a long time...was I a believer who just fell backwards and got so far away from my Savior that I just never felt close to Him? Or did I never give Him my life in the first place? At the age of four, it's hard to tell if you've truly had a life change. But, my passion is strong and it drives me in everything I do. I am not the same person I was before. God is amazing and there is no doubt He exists and is very, very real and loves me and you so much!

The following story was read as I pinned my message to Jesus on the cross, walked across stage with my dad who has played a large role in my spiritual growth/salvation regardless when it was, and then stood in the nice warm pool. I shivered all the way to the bathroom to change clothes. I did NOT want to get out! Lucky Mike who got to stay in there for most of the service!

Ironically, two of my close friends also decided, independently, to get baptized on the same day. Then we found out we had even picked the same service! It was cool to share the day with others who have also had a spiritual influence on me and we are doing life together.

For those of you who may not know, Baptism is a public way of telling everyone that I am a follower of Christ and have fully dedicated my life to serving Him in whatever capacity He has for me.

The story as read during baptism:

I’m the Founder and President of the Gastroparesis Patient Association for Cures and Treatments. G-PACT is a non-profit increasing awareness of gastroparesis and chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction. I have struggled with these conditions for 16 years. I also volunteer with the kidcrew in The Wheelhouse and do office work for LCBC. I’m involved in a singles Life Group, am a rabid Steelers fan, and edit books my dad develops on leading others to Christ.

When I was four I prayed to trust Jesus. I was baptized, but I didn’t understand the significance. I never felt much love for others and was selfish. I didn’t rely on God to get me through tough physical challenges. I never truly felt His presence in my life.

On March 13, 2006 I received the gift of life when I survived a five organ transplant at the University of Pittsburgh. I encountered problems after the transplant which left me in desperation. No one understood what I was dealing with and I felt completely alone. My dad realized I was struggling and he took me through the first discipleship book in the series I now edit. In August of 2006, I recognized the sacrifice Jesus had made for me. Then I made the informed decision to be a fully devoted follower of Christ.

When I trusted Jesus, there was instant peace. He calmed my fears. I felt like my prayers actually went somewhere. I knew then that, no matter what, I was going to be ok whether on earth or in heaven.

Now I am passionate about connecting others to Jesus through G-PACT, LCBC, life example, and sharing my story. I don’t fear death and recognize the importance of living every day to the fullest. My life has been spared for a purpose. God has been doing incredible things and he has a very important plan for me.

I want to be baptized today because I want to express my commitment of two new lives to Christ. Last week I celebrated the four year anniversary of my new physical life as a recipient of a new digestive tract! Without that new physical life, I would not be celebrating my new spiritual life as a fully-devoted follower of Christ today.

Baptized March 23, 2010 at LCBC Harrisburg on Chambers Hill Road
Pastor: Mike Albon

No comments:

Post a Comment